Saturday, February 25, 2012

Emma's Birthday Party

It's a known fact that kid parties never go as "planned", so I went into this party today trying to be level minded and ready to accept my fate. However, you must know something about me, I am a control freak. It is very hard for me when there are things out of my control, and today was such an occurrence.

I reserved our clubhouse located in the middle of our condos about a month ago. I gave the lady on the phone our dates and times needed, and she told me where to send the check for the deposit. I assumed it would all be ready for us at 11:00 a.m. this morning when we needed to have the building unlocked, so that we could get Emma's party going.

No one was there at 11:00 a.m., or 11:30, or even 12:00 p.m. when the party was supposed to start. Matt was on the phone with the HOA, but they were closed and only had an emergency contact number available. This was an emergency, we had 20 people with hungry kids waiting outside for the doors to be unlocked! 

Matt proved to be my hero again, and somehow got a hold of the right person to unlock the door. While all that was going on, I was home trying to keep my cool and get everything loaded up to go down to the clubhouse. A special thanks goes out to my sister-in-law Crissy, who always seems to be available in a crisis, and my big brother Owen who helped make the sandwiches so that I could get Emma ready for her party. I would have been a mess without you both! 

Of course, I can't forget sweet Anne McRae for baking a massive amount of mini-cupcakes for us all to enjoy. I am so excited for the days to come, where I can munch on these delicious baked goodies!

After the building chaos, the party went smooth and everyone seemed to have fun (I couldn't really tell, because I was running around most of the time, but from what I heard people had fun). Emma had so much fun chasing after the big kids, and wasn't interested at all in her presents. She definitely loved her chocolate cupcake, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

After everyone left, we cleaned up the clubhouse (with help from our friends Jen, the mega cleaner, and Matt Vanduren) and headed home to get Emma down for a nap. 

It was such a blast, and the stress and worry were all worth it in the end. I am glad I survived my first kid birthday party, and that we were able to see all our friends and family too. Thank you to all that came and gave Emma a present, we'll be opening them all tomorrow so that she can have the whole day to play with them! Our little girl is one!! 






Kami and Tristan making sure Emma saw all her presents!


Kami helping Emma with her presents






Great Grandma, Me, Mom, Emma (with her cupcake goatee)



Eating her birthday cupcakes at Grandma Esau's house...







No comments:

Post a Comment